2013 challenge - "Ultimate Ascent℠"
tHE GAME pIECES
Ultimate Ascent℠ is played using special FIRST discs. The discs are 11 inches in diameter and are made of 180 grams of hard plastic. Each disc has the FIRST® logo on the front. Each robot is allowed to hold or control up to four of these discs at any one time.
Before the end of the game, robots attempt to climb their alliances pyramid on their side of the field. The higher the robot is able to climb, the more points it will receive. Points are calculated based on the height of the lowest point of the robot. Even if 99% of the robot is in level 2 and the other 1% is in level 1 the robot is said to have only climbed to level 1.
Ultimate Ascent℠ is played by two competing alliances on a flat, 27 x 54 foot field. Each alliance consists of three robots, and they compete to score as many discs into their goals as they can during a two minute and fifteen second match. The alliance's robots race to score as many discs as possible into the four goals and get more points than the opposing alliance. The higher the goal in which the disc is scored, the more points the alliance receives.
The robots on each alliance attempt to score as many discs into one of the four nets on the opposite side of the field. The nets have dangling chains to slow down the discs to help prevent them from bouncing out. The point is only counted if the disc stays in the net.
The match Begins with a fifteen second Autonomous Period in which robots operate independently of driver inputs. The robots use either pre-programmed instructions to try to score as many points as possible. Discs scored during this period are worth double the amount of points compared to normal.
Once the 15 seconds are up a Teleoperated Period starts. At this time, drivers take control of the robots and try to maximize their alliance score by scoring as many goals as possible or by blocking the other alliance's goals. The Teleoperated Period lasts 2 minutes and ends with robots attempting to climb up pyramid located near the middle of the field. Each robot earns points based on how high it climbs. Once the time is up, all robots are disconnected from the controllers and the score is calculated. The winning alliance is the team with the most points at the end of the game.
For a full copy of the Ultimate Ascent℠ game manual, click the link below